Founded during the earliest days of Northumbrian Christianity, the Church stands on the site of an ancient Pagan Temple. Missionaries established a wooden structure in the 8th century which was destroyed by Vikings in the 9th who left behind some Scandinavian Crosses, fragments of which are in Hutton le Hole Museum.
A second Church was built only to be destroyed again in the 10th century. Although parts of this church remain, the present structure is a mixture of Norman columns and 15th century additions - including a Priests Chamber incorporated into the porch and a magnificent oak timbered roof. Other features include a fragment of a Saxon sundial incorporated into a window surround, Norman Sedilia, piscina and windows, one with a medieval stained glass "the face of God the Father" and a magnificent Memorial Brass to Lady Brooke dating from 1600
For the inquisitive, the extensive and attractive Churchyard has a number of interesting headstones both ancient and modern! All Saints is very much a living place of prayer, worship and fellowship.
Above details from the churches leaflet republished February 2000
Pevsner notes that
The E parts by Sir G.G. Scott 1873-5 (though one Norman chancel window
was kept and in fact duplicated, and the C14 SEDILIA were kept), the W tower
essentially C18..But in between lies plenty of medieval work.
Back to service times